The Veritas NetBackup Appliances 3.1.2: Configuration and Management course is designed for the IT Professional who is new to appliances and is responsible for configuring the 5330 and 5240 appliances, performing
appliance maintenance tasks, operating and managing the appliance and troubleshooting the appliance.
This course covers how to configure the appliances and add storage to the appliances. You learn how the appliances easily integrate into the NetBackup environment and how to run backups and restores. You learn the basics
of resolving appliance issues and maintaining the appliances. In addition, you learn about reconfiguring the appliances. You also learn how to configure and maintain CloudCatalyst 5240 and finally you learn how to deploy
a Virtual Appliance.
Introduction and Overview
• NetBackup Appliance models and their major features.
• NetBackup Appliance software releases and interfaces.
• Hardware components and configuration options of the appliance compute units and storage shelves. Appliance Configuration
• Pre-configuration checklist and configuration tasks using Veritas Remote Management.
• Using the Appliance Web Console for initial appliance configuration.
• Local configuration tasks using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH).
• Remote configuration tasks using the Veritas Remote Management (VRM) console.
• Validate the appliance configuration. Labs
• Exercise A: NetBackup 3.1.2 lab environment
• Exercise B: Configuring a master server Appliance
• Exercise C: Adding a 5330 media server appliance to a master
• Exercise D: Configuring a 5330 media server Appliance
• Exercise E: Verifying the configuration
• Exercise F: Launching the NetBackup Administration Console
• Exercise G: Viewing software emails Appliance Operations
• Appliance functionality differences and common NetBackup appliance features.
• Run reports from the NetBackup and Appliance interfaces, showing backup activity on the appliance.
• Configure Universal and Oracle Copilot shares on an appliance. Labs
• Exercise A: Appliance Shell Menu storage information
• Exercise B: Resizing storage
• Exercise C: Configuring policies to use Advanced Disk storage
• Exercise D: Performing Manual backups to storage
• Exercise E: Viewing the disk pool information
• Exercise F: NetBackup storage email alerts
• Exercise G: Running Deduplication Reports in OpsCenter (optional) Appliance Troubleshooting and Tools
• Online resources for troubleshooting the appliance.
• Troubleshooting using the indicators, lights and LEDs.
• Locate and resolve common hardware faults. Labs
Page 2 of 2
• Exercise A: Appliance Shell Support Menu Troubleshooting Commands
• Exercise B: Viewing Log Files Using the Support > Logs Command
Monitoring Appliance Health
• Monitor appliance health using the OpsCenter interface.
• Monitor appliance health using the Appliance Web Console and the NetBackup Appliance Shell Menu (CLISH).
•Monitor and remotely manage the appliance using the Veritas Remote Management console. Updating Appliance Software
• Overview for the upgrade process to 3.1.2.
• Upgrade the software version of a NetBackup appliance.
• Architecture and functionality of the Appliance Management Console.
• Configure Appliance Management Servers and Appliance Management Agents.
• Manage the Repository and install EEB’s and upgrades. Labs
• Exercise A: Configuring an appliance as an Appliance Management Server (AMS)
• Exercise B: Configuring an appliance as an Appliance Management Agent (AMA)
• Exercise C: Managing appliances from the Appliance Management Console (AMC)
• Managing AutoSupport alerts.
• Set a Login Banner on a NetBackup appliance.
• Configure a NetBackup CLI User.
• Configure LDAP and Active Directory Authentication.
• Add or remove a storage shelf to the appliance.
• Configure and monitor appliance security.
• Describe how to configure SAN Client and Fibre channel replication. Labs
• Exercise A: NetBackup CLI administrative users
• Exercise B: An introduction to the NetBackup command line shell
• Exercise C: Viewing SDCS audit logs
• Exercise D: Creating a Login Banner
Reconfiguring an Appliance
• Provide an overview of resetting an appliance.
• Identify the process for reimaging the appliance.
• Describe how to migrate to a new appliance.
• Describe how to decommission an appliance.
• Exercise A: Exercise A: Performing a NetBackup Manual Backup
• Exercise B: Configuring Data Migration
• Exercise C: Viewing Migration Task Status
• Exercise D: Viewing Data Migration Results
• Describe the new NetBackup CloudCatalyst Appliance.
• Configure a CloudCatalyst Appliance
. • Monitor and troubleshoot a CloudCatalyst appliance. Labs
• Exercise A: Configuring a CloudCatalyst 5240 storage server
• Exercise B: Perform duplication and backup operations to CloudCatalyst
• Basic features and use cases for the NetBackup Virtual Appliances.
• Differences between NetBackup Virtual Appliances and NetBackup physical appliances.
• Deployment and configuration of a NetBackup Virtual Appliance.
• Steps for deploying a NetBackup Virtual Appliance.
• NetBackup Virtual Appliance configuration process.
• Identify additional configuration tasks.